;

December 3, 2011

Queen Mary of the United Kingdom's Girls of Great Britain & Ireland Tiara

Creation:  This tiara was commissioned by Lady Eva Greville from Garrard and made by E. Wolff & Co. in 1893 using money collected from the girls of Great Britain & Ireland.  It could be worn on a smaller coronet frame or as a necklace.  In 1914, Queen Mary had the top pearls replaced with diamonds from the County of Surrey Tiara.  The pearls were then used in the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara.  The base of the tiara was removed and worn separately but in 1969 Queen Elizabeth II had it reattached to the rest of the tiara.
Queen Mary
Queen Mary
Materials:  diamonds set in silver and gold

Provenance:
  1. Queen Mary of the United Kingdom; from the girls of Great Britain & Ireland on the occasion of her 1893 marriage to King George V of the United Kingdom
  2. Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom; from her grandmother on the occasion of her 1947 marriage Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh

No comments :

Post a Comment